Re: Setting Access Control for Printers and browser

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 07:39:02 -0800, Christian Simo wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:19 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Can you expand the information? The more details you provide the better
>> so people can have an idea of your requirements.
>>
> I want  to set up the authentication system, so user can login before
> use a printer or the browser for internet.
> It's can be also be able to know who was printing?

(...)

For printing, I would review CUPS documentation on policies:

http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/policies.html

Concrete steps on how to setting up will vary based on how are you
sharing the printer (ipp, samba...).

For network browsing, there are "proxies" like Squid that can be used for
this same purpose (restrict access to web sites by using ACL and
controlling/auditing  your users bandwith).

http://www.squid-cache.org/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón