Re: Scanner recommendations

On 30 Dec 2010, vr wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a current shipping quality scanner they've
> bought and used with Squeeze? My Google searches return articles
> from 2000 and 2003. I'd like to scan 35mm negatives, slides, some
> photos and regular paper documents.

When I looked into this a year or so ago I couldn't find anything useful that would work with Linux. I have an Epson 1650 which works well (though it doesn't do negatives) and I wanted another to use in a different location. I managed to get one from ebay at a reasonable price.

I regard the present trend to have everything (printer, scanner, fax) built into a single machine a retrorade step. What if you already have a printer or don't like any of those that come with a scanner? You have to find room for a second printer which you don't need; there are further questions concerning the compatibility of all this stuff with Linux, and if something goes wrong with the printer (say), you have to repair or scrap everything at once. This is another example of the ill effects of the _market_ which have been discussed in another thread on this list in connection with wide-screen monitors.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk