Re: [OT] Re: microsoft.com -> NetBSD

* On 2010 30 Dec 12:50 -0600, Brad Alexander wrote:
> > I can only say that I love BSD licenses. I know many people can be anger
> > by this but I find that BSD licences are the best exponent for the true
> > and unconditional user freedom.
>
> I agree with Camaleón. Not to end 2010 with a flame war, but this is
> the one thing that irritates me most about the FSF. They advocate free
> software, which is a laudable goal, but they seem to only acknowledge
> it *if* you conform to their definition of free. By definition, if a
> user chooses to, they should be *free* to use commercial software and
> be as equally accepted as someone who opts not to have any binary
> blobs on their system. In their own way, Stallman and the FSF are
> trying to accomplish lock-in as much as the vendors...

Sorry, but as a contributor to a small Free Software project licensed
under GPL and LGPL, I respectfully disagree.  Much has been provided to
me because of the GPL and I believe that my contributions warrant the
same opportunity by others.  I do not want any of my contributions taken
proprietary by *any* entity for *any* reason.  I also do not see the GPL
as lock-in, rather as lock-out.

I do understand and respect why others would prefer to choose a BSD
license.  I just ask that others do the same for us who choose the GPL.

HNY

- Nate >>