Re: How to upgrade chain-booted grub-pc?

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Phil Requirements
<simultaneous@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 2010-12-29 12:28:07 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
>>
>> A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
>> comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
>> automatically install, presumably because it does
>> not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I also don't know the details of
>> what grub2 did to make the chain boot, so I don't
>> know what to tell grub1 (grub-pc) when it asks:
>>
>> "The grub-pc package is being upgraded. This menu
>> allows you to select which devices you'd like
>> grub-install to be automatically run for, if any."
>>
>> Does anyone have any solid recommendations (no
>> wild guesses please) as to how to determine the
>> best response?
>
>    grub1 = grub-legacy
>    grub2 = grub-pc

+1 for the grub-pc/grub-legacy explanation.

If you can, choose not to install to any device (I think!).

The reason that I think so is that when you choose to chainload grub2
from grub1, grub1 is installed in the MBR and post-MBR gap and
core.img, grub2's stage 1.5 loader, isn't in the post-MBR gap but in
"/boot/grub". So, when you choose the grub2 entry in the grub1 menu,
core.img is loaded and that leads to the display (I think through
"/boot/grub/normal.mod" but I'm not sure) of the grub2 menu.

I _think_ that if you select a device in the dialog box that you're
getting, grub2'll install itself in the MBR and kill the chainload.