Re: How to upgrade chain-booted grub-pc?

On 2010-12-29 12:28:07 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
> comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
> automatically install, presumably because it does
> not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.
>
> Unfortunately, I also don't know the details of
> what grub2 did to make the chain boot, so I don't
> know what to tell grub1 (grub-pc) when it asks:
>
> "The grub-pc package is being upgraded. This menu
> allows you to select which devices you'd like
> grub-install to be automatically run for, if any."
>
> Does anyone have any solid recommendations (no
> wild guesses please) as to how to determine the
> best response?

This is not advice for your problem, I just wanted to
point out something I noticed. Your description of the
two grubs conflicts with my understanding of them. As
far as I know, the following is true:

    grub1 = grub-legacy
    grub2 = grub-pc

So, in my understanding grub1 != grub-pc. That alone may
give you a way to understand what grub-pc is asking you.

Hope this helps,

Phil