Re: Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter works with squeeze / gnome

On Qui, 30 Dez 2010, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
Camaleon -- unfortunately the wifi / USB page you pointed me to specifies
which chipsets work well with Debian, but not which devices you can buy at a
store or on Amazon.  I was never able to figure out how to make use of that
page as most vendors and retailers do not think that the chipset information
is of vital importance to the buyer, hence it is obscure at the time of
purchase.

Klistvud -- Here is the output of lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0846:4260 NetGear, Inc. WG111v3 54 Mbps Wireless
[realtek RTL8187B]

So the chipset happens to be one of the ones which is well-supported, but I
had no way to know this prior to purchase (and believe me, I tried to find
out).  Fortunately a user posted a review to Amazon saying that it worked
for him on his linux desktop.

What's worse, the vendors themselves do not care about the chipset, often releasing new models with different chipsets but keeping the same model number.

--
Time washes clean
Love's wounds unseen.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI