Re: /dev/sd* disappeared from userspace

Todd Pytel wrote:
> Kernel is 2.6.26.4, udev is 164-3.

You have hit the udev and kernel incompatibility problem.  That kernel
isn't supported by the new udev.  A *lot* of people have already hit
that problem and when Squeeze releases it will only mean that more
people will hit it.  I think you are lucky that you have a simple
partitioning and were able to boot.  A lot of people with a different
partitioning end up without being able to boot.

Here is the official documentation on how to recover:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#how-to-recover

> That could certainly be an issue. I suppose there must be some good
> technical reason that dep wouldn't be tracked by apt.

It's a problem.  Look at the package dependencies:

  $ apt-cache show udev | grep -e Depends: -e Conflicts:

It can't depend upon a specific kernel.  If it did that would break
everyone that uses their own self compiled kernel.  There isn't a
requirement that everyone use a packaged kernel and there are a lot of
good reasons for people to use a custom kernel.  Therefore it can't be
a dependency.

There is a conflict with previous packaged kernels.  So for a typical
user who is using a packaged kernel it will conflict.  That I would
call a best-effort attempt only.  It works in a lot of typical cases
but doesn't work for everyone but better than not having the conflict
in there at all.

> It's going to be tricky doing a kernel upgrade now, ...

First, read the official docs and see what you think.  Then I think I
would try to downgrade udev in order to get back to a working udev
system that matches your current kernel.  Then you would have a normal
system with everthing working and then could decide what to do then.
I haven't had to do this myself however and so don't know but
downgrading udev is included as a footnote possibility in the official
docs.

Bob