Re: /dev/sd* disappeared from userspace

Todd Pytel wrote:
> I recently began updating my desktop, a Sid install which I only update
> infrequently - the last update was a few months ago. As I usually do in
> this situation, I started by pulling down the various non-X/GNOME
> libraries and basic admin, devel, and text tools. Before too long, I did
> a reboot to test the GRUB 2 upgrade,

If you are just now getting the grub 2 upgrade in Sid then it has been
a *long* time since you last upgraded.  At least ten months?  Since
before last February?  (I can't quite remember when it wentt through a
brief search didn't refresh my memory enough to be sure.)

What are the versions of your kernel and udev packages?  I know you
say they are fine but inquiring minds want to know the version numbers
so that we can know this for ourselves. :-)

> and noticed that /dev/sda - my system disk - is no longer listed in
> /dev. Oops.

What does this say?

  cat /proc/partitions

Hopefully you will see something that looks like a filesystem
partition in the outout.

> My only thought was that this should be udev/hal related, so I finished
> the upgrade for those packages, but to no effect. Is there somewhere
> else I should look? Again, it's not a kernel support problem - the
> kernel is untouched from before, and sda is detected properly in dmesg.
> The disk just isn't showing up in userspace.

Note that the current udev requires a kernel that is 2.6.28 or newer.
This is making upgrades from Lenny to Squeeze especially painful this
release cycle.

Bob