RE: PPTP Issues in Debian Testing/Squeeze

Hello Pascal and Russell,

> Roland Rosier a écrit :
> > I get a huge number of lines in my syslog saying:
> >
> > Dec 27 12:51:54 xxxxx pptp[5043]: anon log[decaps_gre:pptp_gre.c:414]:
> > buffering packet 20895 (expecting 20894, lost or reordered)
>
> 1) It could be a packet loss issue at the link layer level. Run a packet
> sniffer such as tcpdump or wireshark/tshark on the ethernet interface
> connected to the modem and capture the GRE traffic (IP proto 47). Then
> check whether the expected packet numbers reported in syslog during the
> capture are just reordered or actually missing.
>
> 2) Check the counters in the output of ifconfig for that interface too.
>
> 3) If everything seems fine at the link layer level, try to disable the
> firewall.

It would appear that the issue was with the actual on-board Ethernet.

I disabled my new motherboard's on-board Ethernet and installed an old (and known-working-with-Linux) PCI 3COM 3c905.

With this new card, I got full-speed downloads and no packet loss using the kernel driver 3c95x.

I then noticed that my Motherboard was one version down on the BIOS updates available and that the BIOS update mentioned the LAN.

So I updated my Motherboard's BIOS and removed the 3COM card.

I now seem to be getting full-speed downloads and no packet loss using the kernel driver r8169.

For reference, my Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Revision 1.3 and the on-board Ethernet is an RTL8111D.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Regards,
Roland Rosier