Re: Activating Emacs packages without restarting Emacs

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> No, this has got nothing to do with system-wide locations or Debian
> packaging. :-(
>
> I've tried things like looking at the .el files that a Debian package
> provides and try to execute them, but that's error-prone. I was hoping
> for a method like "eval this elisp file" and see if that worked.

Since you are running a dpkg/apt system try this:

  dpkg -L someemacspackage

For example emacs-jabber or emacs-goodies-el or some such.  You will
almost always find a file in /etc/emacs/site-start.d that initializes
that package.  Load just that file in emacs.

  $ dpkg -L w3m-el | grep site-start.d/
  /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50w3m-el.el

Then in emacs you can try:

  M-x load-file
  Load file: /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50w3m-el.el

Or

  M-: (load-file "/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50w3m-el.el")

Bob