Re: need motherboard recommendation

* Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> [101228 00:28]:
> Paul I get the feeling you've read a lot of forums and magazines, and
> know some people who might know their stuff, but that you personally
> don't really have any experience as a PC/server hardware tech.  Is this
> an accurate assessment?

I am not a technician; I am an engineer.  My experience includes
electronic design.

But this is not a question of my credentials.  As a trip to the
library would verify, the capacitor problem was front-page news and
the subject of feature articles in respected professional publications
such as Electronic Design, Electronic Engineering Times, and EDN.

Furthermore, the limited life of electrolytics is well-known in
industry.  A typical Sprague data sheet from the 1970's lists the
shelf life of a particular electrolytic as two or three years; and the
service life as five years.

Accordingly, in the petrochemical industry, spare electronic modules
for critical machinery -- such as the governor for a large steam
turbine -- were stored in special racks which kept them powered up
continuously.

But enough of this; the thread has gotten far off-topic.

RLH