Re: need motherboard recommendation

On Sunday 26 December 2010 06:46 pm, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> [101226 22:56]:
> > Well OK.  So, this seems to me to be a memory problem.  I'm guessing the
> > video ram.  Whatever memory the 80X25 mode is mapping into has become
> > flaky.  When you start X, you are using different memory, so no problem.
> > Why didn't ASUS solve the problem?  dunno.  Perhaps, once the MB booted
> > into whatever they tested with (X, MS-Win, whatever), the problem isn't
> > apparent.  Their bad. Also, the problem does not seem to affect the
> > operation of the MB once it is booted.  So, how much worse is this than
> > annoying?
>
> Thanks, Mark.  Your diagnosis makes sense.
>
> If the problem indeed is in the video ram, am I correct in assuming
> that I should have no great concern regarding data integrity in the
> other systems of the motherboard?

You are correct.  The system boots into X correctly and runs correctly.  So,
it is working correctly.  You've got a non-fatal glitch in the memory that
the PC doesn't use when it runs.

> The only other possibility which occurred to me is that the difference
> in temperature or humidity between the Asus US service facility and my
> location may have caused the symptom to disappear and reappear.

Yes, you seem to be in a tropical area. Perhaps an extreme tropical area.
Extreme heat/humidity will make things behave in <ahem> unusual ways as you
already know.  This doesn't necessarily point to a generic flaw from the
manufacturer.  The unit you have could be on the edge of tolerance and your
extreme conditions pushes it over.  You are lucky that it only affects the
boot video.

Mark