Re: Any kmail filtering advice?

On Thursday 23 Dec 2010, Lisi wrote:
> On Thursday 23 December 2010 21:48:26 Steve McCarthy wrote:
> > Has anyone else found a way to defer junk (not SPAM) mail in kmail?
>
> It can use Spamassassin.  (It can integrate it.)  But I don't
> understand the distinction between Spam and Junk.
>
> To which version of KMail are we referring?  Or which version of
> Debian?
>
> Lisi

Sorry I wasn't clearer.  I believe the distinction is: SPAM is unsolicited
whereas junk is solicited but unwanted at the present time.  Stores you
patronize or causes you support will all send you email which you may or
may not want to read right now.  Just like junk snail mail, usually its
tossed unopened,  but occasionally you're interested (or bored) enough to
read it.

Ice Owl labels any mail not coming for a "friend" as junk and moves it out
of your in-box.  I think friends are defined as being in your address book,
but not entirely sure.

As to your second question "Why move her?"  kmail is better integrated
with kde, for whatever that's worth.  Plus, Ice owl uses a database rather
than maildirs for storage.  Any new message means all stored messages are
backed up nightly..  There may be a solution to this, but it wasn't
obvious to me.

So, since kmail's address book filter appears broken, I'm searching for
another approach.

Thanks,
steve