Re: Dell E6410, squeeze, touchpad anddddd keyboard problems

On 12/23/2010 09:46 AM, Johann Spies wrote:
Thanks Gilbert.  That has disabled the touchpad.  Now let us hope the other
keyboard-problems will come to an end.  Immediately as I type this, it feels
if the keyboard reaction is faster and so far I did not miss a character.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

My main problem with touchpads is that the tap-to-click function is enabled by default. This is probably the silliest device default I've ever seen because it causes so much trouble. It's a duplicate function since you already have buttons for doing the clicking. Not having a driver means no way to adjust sensitivity and the stupid device keeps sabotaging you as you try to work.

The nasty little combination Alps touchpad / touchstick on my M70 would cause the cursor to jump while I was typing. I didn't even actually have to touch the pad or stick. Sometimes just getting near one or the other of them would cause the cursor to move.

I have an expensive KVM in one of my server racks that has exactly the same problem. I wind up using an auxiliary keyboard and mouse on that rack. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. And the manufacturer (TrippLite, are you listening?) provides no way to turn of tap-to-click.

I don't remember having a problem with repeating characters, but I wouldn't doubt that the touchpad on your system may have had something to do with what you were seeing.

I hope it works out for you.

Regards
Johann

Regards,