Re: usb drive nolonger registers on one pc, still registers on another

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:46:21 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:31:30PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Just for testing purposes... what happens if you disconnect the USB
>> cable of the UPS unit from the computer and boot up the system
>> afterwards? Are you getting the same warnings when plugin the USB hard
>> disk and still fails to be detected with "fdisk -l"?
>>

> Yes.  I can't keep the USB hard disk connected to the computer.  As soon
> as it is connected the attempts to "enumerate USB device on port 2" keep
> scrolling by as sequential addresses are tried.  When the highest
> address (125?) fails it starts over at address 5 (there are four other
> USB devices attached and working normally).

Remove all the USB devices that are attached to the computer and just
leave the USB hard disk. Are you still getting the warnings when only 1
USB device is connected?

> I entered fdisk -l while the scrolling continued and the three sata hard
> drives were detected (the response interleaved in the scrolling) but the
> USB drive was not detected.

That's bad ;-(

Try to unload "ehci_hcd" kernel module, connect the hard disk and check
again.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón