Re: usb drive nolonger registers on one pc, still registers on another

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:16:21 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

> A Toshiba usb hard drive previously registered with no difficulty on one
> computer but still registers with no difficulty on a seconcd computer.
> Both computers are using the Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 stock kernel but the
> one with the problem was just updated and the one with no problem was
> updated last August.
>
> By failing to register I mean that when connected I get a continuing
> series of messages like this:
>

> Dec 13 16:54:21 dragon kernel: [ 3212.860525] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 44
> Dec 13 16:54:21 dragon kernel: [ 3213.008537] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

(...)

> Has something changed in the kernel?  Or perhaps in some other software
> as in each case the update was a full dist-upgrade?

You mean the USB hard disk is working properly but logs that output or
you get the errors and the disk is not detected at all?

You can make a quick test: run " dmesg | grep [euo]hci" in both computers to
check what USB module is in charge of the disk. There are some devices that
play better with old "[uo]hci" stack and have problems when using the new one.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón