Re: Is squeeze compatible woth WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?

Klistvud:

> I'm planning to surprise my unsuspecting self with the above hard
> drive for Christmas, but have read some alarming reports about
> incompatibilities with GNU/Linux partitioning. Apparently, there are
> no less than two distinct problems with these drivers:

I am running squeeze with two WD10EARS drives (plus another different
drive) in a RAID10. When setting things up, I decided to ignore this
issue completely because I thought the tools would do the right thing
automatically. Apparently, they don't, although the drive reports its
correct physical sector size:

# fdisk -ul /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdc1              63  1953118439   976559188+  da  Non-FS data
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

I don't have a serious performance issue, though. There's an encrypted
LVM volume on top of it and throughput is limited by the CPU (Atom D510)
at about 20-25MByte/s. An unencrypted volume I just created for this
test yields 72MByte/s write and 98MByte/s read throughput on the RAID.

Just out of curiosity, I will try reformatting the drives and see
whether the results for unencrypted access change. I am just not sure
whether I would have to tweak RAID and/or LVM parameters as well. That
wouldn't be that easy to pull off.

J.
--
Thy lyrics in pop songs seem to describe my life uncannily accurately.
[Agree]   [Disagree]