Re: why my sound card doesn't work

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Long Wind <longwind2009@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a P4 motherboard, which has intel integrated audio
> It works fine in Windows XP
> but in etch, there's no sound
> I try to play a real media file
> and I adjust sound volume with gamix
> No matter how hard I try, there's no sound
> below is a list by lsmod
> Thanks in advance!

i'm pretty sure debian etch used alsa for sound. if this is the case,
try to install 'alsamixer' and see if anything is muted that shouldn't
be. this will do two things - first, it won't load if it can't find
'mixer' and second, you'll be able to unmute anything that was muted
by default. second, if that works out fine, i think alsaplayer comes
with a utility to play wave files. try playing one of the wave files
that came with X (find / -type f -iname "*.wav")

ps - sorry long wind, not paying attention to what i'm doing.