Re: Installing latest version of mediawiki & removing Lenny's mediawiki package

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:25:20 -0800, Tech Geek wrote:

> I am using Debian Lenny on my AMD Anthlon X2 box. Currently I am using
> mediawiki version 1.12 that shipps with Lenny. However, I would like to
> upgrade to latest version of mediawiki 1.16 [1]. I know Debian backports
> has 1.15 but I want 1.16 (or whatever is the latest version).

Think if you really will get any gain in using the lastest available
version, I mean, the upstream package instead the Debian one.

I tell you this because you will have to manually check for any security
update of the whole package at a regular basis while using Debian
provided packages the patches (when available) will reach you
automatically via security updates.

> What is the best method to make this transition (from Debian mediawiki
> package 1.12 to the vanilla mediawiki 1.16) in Debian Lenny?

Again, re-think this :-)

Unless there is a feature in the upstream version that is a MUST for you,
I would keep the "oldie" one that comes with Lenny.

> Should I first uninstall the mediawiki package from the Debian Lenny and
> then follow the normal instructions from [1] to install the latest
> mediawiki assuming I am backing up my extensions, LocalSettings.php,
> image directory and any other mediawiki code file that I may have
> modified?

Well, if you still prefer going that path, just some points:

- Check for Mediawiki 1.16 requirements an ensure yu fulfill all of them

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Installation

- Mediawiki seems to be a php template driven package (you uncompress the
tar.gz inside a folder in your web server and run the wizard) so I don't
think you'll fall into many problems

- Check the Debian page inside mediawiki:

Get latest MediaWiki
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Debian_GNU/Linux

Should you remove the old (lenny) package? Dunno, it is porssible that
you can keep both and just setup and work with the new one.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón