debian testing amd64: X windows trouble after todays updates. (gdm problem?)

Hi!

I am running a lenovo thinkpad T510 with debian testing. after doing a
maintenance package update today, I discovered that the gnome desktop locked
up frequently. That is, the current foreground application still gets
mouse and keypoard input, but window manager and gnome panel
funcionality went dead. Occasionally responsiveness came back, but I
could not really reproduce that. Next thing what happened was when I switched to console I discovered
that the console ran out a few lines at the bottom, so I could not see
the current line. I guess this is a different problem not necessarily
connected and could be older since I did not use console mode for a
couple of weeks.

After doing a few reboots and trials I switched gdm over to a twm
session. TWM got the same problem, locking me in after opening an xterm, which I could not even resize afterwards. After a while and some random key/mousebutton combinations, it worked again for some time but not for long. I could not reproduce the circumstances of failure,
but apart from the xterm window itself the window manager does not
seem to be responsive.

Unfortunately the thing is conected via WLAN and this Gnome network
thingy does not bother to start the connection from console, so the
laptop is now disconnected until I figure out how to configure
wpa_supplicant again without that gnome-based stuff..

Basic data:

uname -a
Linux kropotkin 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 25 18:02:11 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux

lspci tells me:
VGA: nVidia Corp. GT218 [NVS 3100M]

Display size: 1920x1080
nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 version 195.36.31+2
nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-amd64 version 195.36.31+2

all the other nvidia modules show version 195.36.31-6

In top, I see Xorg at 85% CPU usage, twm around 40%.
After leaving xterm, twm seems to want to place some new window i
cancelled long ago. It seems that Xwindows switched to modal windows
somehow...

then I have shut down gdm and started X manually from console by
startx. This seems to work even with gnome so I suspect it might be a gdm problem.

I can provide more details as soon as I have the laptop itself
reconnected to the net.
The effect started after updating packages about four hours ago. I am
not sure which package is the culprit, but it has to be a recent change
somewhere.
I'll now put together the list of installed packages. and more
information.

So where should I go next to report the problem?

Replies to me in CC. please.

--
peter koellner <peter@asgalon.net>