Re: Feedback needed: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 08:24:51PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2010-12-07 17:21 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

>> > A month ago, I disabled Network Manager service in my Squeeze system so
>> > it doesn't run on start up. I wanted to keep NM installed (just in case)
>> > but preferred to use the old "ifup" network setup method.
>> >
>> > So I issued "update-rc.d network-manager remove" and also disabled gnome
>> > NM applet from being started.
>>
>> You should use "update-rc.d network-manager disable" instead.  See
>> update-rc.d(8).
>
> With that approach, how can you get a list of
> services that have been disabled using updated-rc.d?

Not AFAIK. But you can use "service --status-all" to get some idea...

> btw, I am curious that Debian now has several ways to enable/disable
> services.
>
> - installing/removing the package with apt-get
> - editing the /etc/default/servicename file
> - managing the symlinks with update-rc.d
> - the permissions of the /etc/init.d/servicename script

I couldn't agree less with your list. :)

> - installing/removing the package with apt-get
It doesn't work for someone who wants to disable samba or
nfs-kernel-server in some locations and enable it in others.

> - editing the /etc/default/servicename file
I can't think of anything other than bootlogd that meets this criterion.

> - managing the symlinks with update-rc.d
Yes, although I'm not convinced that Squeeze/Sid with insserv and
concurrency booting.

> - the permissions of the /etc/init.d/servicename script
It's a hack (as was the "exit 0" suggestion) that'll only work if
there's a box has a single admin and the package that owns a script
doesn't overwrite it through an update/upgrade.