Re: Feedback needed: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 08:24:51PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-12-07 17:21 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>

> > A month ago, I disabled Network Manager service in my Squeeze system so
> > it doesn't run on start up. I wanted to keep NM installed (just in case)
> > but preferred to use the old "ifup" network setup method.
> >
> > So I issued "update-rc.d network-manager remove" and also disabled gnome
> > NM applet from being started.
>
> You should use "update-rc.d network-manager disable" instead.  See
> update-rc.d(8).

With that approach, how can you get a list of
services that have been disabled using updated-rc.d?

btw, I am curious that Debian now has several ways to enable/disable
services.

- installing/removing the package with apt-get
- editing the /etc/default/servicename file
- managing the symlinks with update-rc.d
- the permissions of the /etc/init.d/servicename script

Is this diversity intended to make systems easier to
administer? (I guess it's okay after you learn about it.)

Joel