Re: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:35:25 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> shawn wilson wrote:
>> It's generally advised that you use update-rc.d to do this. However,
>> IIRC this is the exact same thing that the command does (nothing more)
>> so you should be fine.
>
> I see a lot of advice to use update-rc.d to manipulate the symlinks.
> That is fine.  But it isn't required.  It is requored for packages to
> use update-rc.d by policy.  But it isn't required for people.  You
> wouldn't want packages all to do their own thing in the postinst scripts
> because then it would then all be done inconsistently and many would be
> buggy.  Therefore packages are required to use the update-rc.d tool as a
> consistent interface to update symlinks.  That way they don't introduce
> random bugs and changes to the scheme can be implemented all in one
> place.  But that is packages and not people.

(...)

I am open to any/better alternative.

In fact, what this thread has shown us is that there is not a standard
method (let's call it "a common way") for doing a simple task like is
disabling a script from running and keep its current status.

I was looking for a "Debian way" for handling this, not just with Network
Manager but with all the scripts.

True is that "man update-rc.d" suggests using tools like "sysv-rc-conf"
but this tool is no even installed by default, so, how does one can give
credit to such tools if they are not part of the base system? >:-)

Other people in this thread has suggested the manipulation of "/etc/
init.d/*" scripts headers and then re-injecting them with "insserv",
which is of course another option... so, what is the recommended/
preferred way of doing this? "update-rc.d", "sysv-rc-conf", "insserv",
(other)...?

the 'debian way' from what i've always understood is to use update-rc.d to do this. what Bob said was a pretty interesting way of doing things (changing the script and commenting so that you know why you did something). i've personally just gone and created and killed the symlinks and noted in the readme on each directory of what i did. i also keep a weekly backup of etc (a cron job on another server that does something like tar -cR /etc | gzip -c | scp - backup@host:/backups) and look at backups or changes in my readme's if i need to.

what we are saying is that 'the debian way' and the manual way are essentially the same thing. so i suppose just use what you are comfortable with.