Re: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:35:25 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> shawn wilson wrote:
>> It's generally advised that you use update-rc.d to do this. However,
>> IIRC this is the exact same thing that the command does (nothing more)
>> so you should be fine.
>
> I see a lot of advice to use update-rc.d to manipulate the symlinks.
> That is fine.  But it isn't required.  It is requored for packages to
> use update-rc.d by policy.  But it isn't required for people.  You
> wouldn't want packages all to do their own thing in the postinst scripts
> because then it would then all be done inconsistently and many would be
> buggy.  Therefore packages are required to use the update-rc.d tool as a
> consistent interface to update symlinks.  That way they don't introduce
> random bugs and changes to the scheme can be implemented all in one
> place.  But that is packages and not people.

(...)

I am open to any/better alternative.

In fact, what this thread has shown us is that there is not a standard
method (let's call it "a common way") for doing a simple task like is
disabling a script from running and keep its current status.

I was looking for a "Debian way" for handling this, not just with Network
Manager but with all the scripts.

True is that "man update-rc.d" suggests using tools like "sysv-rc-conf"
but this tool is no even installed by default, so, how does one can give
credit to such tools if they are not part of the base system? >:-)

Other people in this thread has suggested the manipulation of "/etc/
init.d/*" scripts headers and then re-injecting them with "insserv",
which is of course another option... so, what is the recommended/
preferred way of doing this? "update-rc.d", "sysv-rc-conf", "insserv",
(other)...?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón