Re: apt-pinning: repo-names.

In <[🔎] 4cfe2cfc.cc7e0e0a.1d1d.42b9@mx.google.com>, Sthu Deus wrote:
>Thank You for Your time and answer, Boyd:
>> I use the fields shown by (apt-cache policy) for each repository for
>> my pinning.  These values ultimately come from the Release file.
>> You'll have a local copy in /var/lib/apt/lists.  This local copy is
>> fetched / updated each time you run aptitude update (or similar).
>
>OK. I have the output from the command:

> 500 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-free Packages
>     release v=None,o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian-Security,c=non-free
>     origin security.debian.org
>..
>
>what should I specify in the preferences file:

>Package: *
>Pin: release a=testing
>Pin-Priority: 300
>
>?

Yep.

Here's the same example from my system:
$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700
$ apt-cache policy
 700 http://127.0.0.1/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=main
     origin 127.0.0.1

>but then

> 500 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib
>Packages release v=None,o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian-Security,c=contrib
>     origin security.debian.org
>
>too, has the same "a" field. Or should I specify all the fields - like

Specify the fields you want to limit based on.  From apt_preferences(5):
           The following record assigns a high priority to all package
           versions belonging to any release whose Archive name is "stable"
           and whose release Version number is "3.0".

               Package: *
               Pin: release a=stable, v=3.0
               Pin-Priority: 500

My entire preferences file just uses "release a=$something" in each stanza.[1]
I don't see a use-case for setting the security repository to a different
priority.

You have read the relevant man page (man 5 apt_preferences), right?