Re: Recommended, easy to manage FTP server for Debian Lenny?

http://wiki.debian.org/Webmin

> Is it safe to install it from there?

http://www.webmin.com/deb.html

"Safe"? Dunno, last time I installed from upstream it worked just fine (I
was running openSUSE). But the "safest" solution is manually editing the
configuration files ;-)

> I have tried gforge-ftp-proftpd; I have installed it on my server box
> but then I don't know how to use it?

/usr/share/doc/gforge-ftp-proftpd/README.Debian.gz

But I don't know what the program is aimed for ("gadmin-proftpd" seems to
be a front-end for setting up proftp but the one you mention looks like
another thing) :-?

>> P.S. There was a recently exploit in ProFTPD package, if you are
>> thinking in installing, just ensure you get an unaffected package.
>
> I have installed it on Lenny with command: 'sudo aptitude install
> proftpd' so I think it is unaffected because I trust to Debian
> maintainers that Debian is the most secure operating system, right?

The bug was tracked here:

It seems lenny packages were not affected.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón