Re: Application problems associated with missing libGLcore.so.1 file

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 19:59:04 +0000, AG wrote:

> I am unable to launch various apps (e.g. chromium, amarok, ...)
> apparently because I lack a given library file - libGLcore.so.1

Better if you put the error message you are getting when you run those
applications from command line.

> I couldn't find anything under an apt-cache search, so searched it on
> the Debian website and found a number of nvidia-related packages that
> contain this library file.  All good.

Yep... I've got "nvidia" driver installed.

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -S libGLcore.so.1
nvidia-glx: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.173.14.09
nvidia-glx: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1

Let me check:

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-glx   173.14.09-5   NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-amd64  173.14.09+3+lenny1   NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26
ii  nvidia-kernel-common    20080825+1  NVIDIA binary kernel module common files

But I have installed those just because my VGA card is nvidia-based.

> I then attempt the following:
>
> ~$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx

Hmmm, I don't even have that package installed. It seems that library can
come from different sources.

(...)
> update-alternatives: error: alternative
> path /usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so.1 doesn't exist. dpkg: error
> processing libgl1-nvidia-alternatives (--configure):
>   subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
>   status 2
> configured to not write apport reports
>                                        dpkg: dependency problems prevent
> configuration of libgl1-nvidia-glx:
>   libgl1-nvidia-glx depends on libgl1-nvidia-alternatives; however:
>    Package libgl1-nvidia-alternatives is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing libgl1-nvidia-glx (--configure):
>   dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> configured to not write apport reports
>                                        Errors were encountered while
> processing:
>   libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
>   libgl1-nvidia-glx

For what I see, "libgl1-nvidia-glx" depends on "libgl1-nvidia-
alternatives". Check if you already have it installed.

> and I am at a loss as to how to fix it.  I don't even know how to start
> processing this.  I'm obviously happy to do the grunt work, but how do I
> debug this & find a resolution?

Well, before going further on this, I would first ask myself if I
really need that library for running amarok or chronium. For me it looks
like the error can come from another place >:-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón