Re: Laptop producing more heat in Linux

Dne, 02. 12. 2010 06:10:13 je Kousik Maiti napisal(a):
I have a Laptop with Multiple OS(M$,Debian5,Ubuntu9.04). Recently I have noticed my system produces more heat when I am using Linux OS.Is there any
specific reason?

Yes, there is. When designing hardware, vendors work hand in hand with Microsoft to optimize their hardware for Windows. Drivers have to be certified by Microsoft for the hardware to be allowed to run Windows at all (at least this was the case when I last used Windows). ACPI is particularly known for being optimized by many vendors to be Windows-compatible *at the expense* of following standards. Corners are cut in order to make Windows look better. In the name of that, industry standards, transparence and compatibility get (forgive the pun) thrown out the windows.

As opposed to that, free software developers are intentionally *prevented* from knowing the nitty-gritty of -- with the exception of a handful of vendors -- almost any hardware produced nowadays.

Free Software Foundation has just started an "open-hardware" certification program. Let's hope it succeeds; in the meantime, the best we users can do is follow the Linux Hardware Compatibility List whenever we go shopping for new hardware.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.