Re: Seeking advice and documentation on non-standard software RAID1 setup

On Ma, 30 nov 10, 15:39:15, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> > 1. Is this setup possible and/or feasible?
>
> Probably yes, though I have never tried this. This would mean that your
> disks ie. the raid has to be rebuild each time you reconnect the disks.
> From my experience this is a rather time consuming.

Are we talking minutes or hours? The current plan is to use the fastest
16GB SD card I can find.

> You also get a problem, if for some reason you modify both disks
> independently. (Say you quickly edit some stuff on A while the second
> disk is attached to B or unplugged).
>
> > 2. Where should I start?
> > 3. Any other issues I haven't thought of (I have zero experience with
> > RAID)
>
> I'd suggest using unison or some other application to keep both disks in
> sync. unison is rather fast at syncing the disks and even has some
> capabilities of merging (mainly usefull for text files) in case you
> modify your files on both replicas in between two runs of unison.
>
> Effectively you will always have one 'offline' backup: either the
> external disk (when working on the home laptop) or the laptop at home
> (when working with the external disk).

That was my thinking. Can unison be used for the entire system (not just
some files under my /home)?

,----
| Unison is a user-level program: there is no need to modify the kernel or
| to have superuser privileges on either host.
`----

This seems to imply it can't.

Regards,
Andrei