Re: what is the use of -c parameter of column(1), can you demonstrate with an example?

 On 11/17/2010 07:39 AM, Phil Requirements wrote:
> expand    --> converts tabs to spaces
> column    --> takes a list and displays it in columns
> column -t --> takes lines of data, splits each line, displays the result in columns

While I see it this way:

expand    --> Format tab-indented text and tab-separated tables using spaces.
column -t --> Format tab-separated tables using spaces.
column    --> Format lists into columns.

Pick this scenario:

A user have tab-separated tabular data.

1. He try to format it, using expand -t 8
2. He see it's not good enough, he does it again with expand -t 10
3. He see it's okay for some columns, but is too wide for others. Then he uses column -t

Thought the whole process, the source data doesn't change, the purpose
doesn't change, but tool changed.

I follow the idea that usage leads to tools, that "you have tools for a
usage", while traditional column tool seems to design from tools to
usage, that "you have tools which can used for usages". I guess this is
more rational from learning prospective.