Re: what is the use of -c parameter of column(1), can you demonstrate with an example?

On 2010-11-16 11:33:56 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> On 11/03/2010 10:04 AM, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> >  problem:
> >
> >     The usage with -t is to form a table, which, although code level
> >     implementation is similar to multi-column layout, in fact is a very
> >     different usage than what is mentioned in the first paragraph.
>
> Now I think the right move would be to add the -t parameter to the
> command it really belongs to: expand(1)
>
> Quote from manual:
>
>     Convert tabs in each FILE to spaces, writing to standard output.
>     With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
>
> The feature of expanding field separator to an automatically
> calculated value existed in column as a convenient (or lazy) design,
> not a usage-oriented design.

If I understand what you are saying, then I disagree with you.
The "column -t" utility is much more closely related to the
rest of the column utility than it is to expand.

"expand" is only for converting tabs to spaces. It does not try
to make pretty output that lines up in columns. It doesn't act
on anything but tabs.

Let's compare:

expand    --> converts tabs to spaces
column    --> takes a list and displays it in columns
column -t --> takes lines of data, splits each line, displays the result in columns

It seems to me that "expand" and "column -t" have very different
uses. Maybe I am not understanding your point?

Phil