Re: A question for the list:

In <[🔎] 4CD3921A.5090408@optonline.net>, Doug wrote:
>On 11/04/2010 10:50 PM, ZephyrQ wrote:
>> If you could not/did not use Debian (either Lenny, Squeeze, or Sid),
>> which other distribution would you use and why?
>
>One thing I
>really _don't_ like about Debian is its fear of the copyright.  I really
>want
>Thunderbird and Firefox, with their familiar icons, on my screen, not the
>goofy clones that Debian has come up with.

It's not a "fear".  It's a reality.  The Mozilla Foundation contacted Debian
Developers and asked them to come into compliance on the trademark usage
allowances that Mozilla provides.

Debian's choices were:  1. Seek approval from the Mozilla Foundation for *all*
patches.  2. Stop using the trademark.

Choosing #1 basically results in firefox / thunderbird never getting into
stable.  Because the lifetime of a Debian release is longer that Mozilla is
willing to support a version of firefox / thunderbird and Debian requires the
ability to apply security updates for the lifetime of a release.

Choosing #2 results in firefox / thunderbind being rebranded iceweasel /
iceowl.  They use the same source code as firefox / thunderbird, but they are
configured with the an alternate branding.  They may also have a few patches
applied to them that may or may not be approved by Mozilla; you can check the
debian/patches directory in the source package to see what is patched.

Debian did not make the decision lightly or unilaterally.

There is a third choice, I guess: Ship firefox / thunderbird in non-free.
Support for non-free is best-effort, which basically means that if upstream is
willing to fix it then the security team / maintainers will package it.  This
basically results in Debian stable's non-free containing software with known
security vulnerabilities that Mozilla is unwilling to fix.