Re: A question for the list:

On 11/04/2010 10:50 PM, ZephyrQ wrote:
If you could not/did not use Debian (either Lenny, Squeeze, or Sid),
which other distribution would you use and why?

If I wanted the Debian style without Debian, I would use Ubuntu, after I modified it to look more like Debian--black letters on white menus screen, window con- trols on the top right, etc. (I have done that.) I installed first Debian and then Ubuntu, for a class I am taking. There was something that Debian wouldn't do,
so they switched to Ubuntu.  But I already was using PCLOS.  One thing I
really _don't_ like about Debian is its fear of the copyright. I really want
Thunderbird and Firefox, with their familiar icons, on my screen, not the
goofy clones that Debian has come up with.

I tried some version of XFDE--I forget which distro it was on--and I could
not put icons on the desktop. Period.  So I put period to that GUI right
then and there.  I like to use icons for all the programs I use on a
regular basis.  Just like Windows.  All the systems I use or have used
allow that. I would never use anything else--might as well go back to DOS!

I am still using PCLinxOs at the moment, and that's the one I would go
with. It has a civilized version of KDE4--at least rev. 2010 does, I don't know
about the two minor releases since. It has some of the advantages of Debian,
like the Synaptic package manager, and a nice file browser--Dolphin. It works
with synaptiks scratch-pad controller for laptops, which Debian and Ubuntu
have eliminated in favor of something that doesn't work.  Something about
"g-pointing-something" I think it's called. I like KDE a bit better than GNOME
--at least without all the transparency nonsense, and the weird window stuff
that the late SuSEs and Kubuntu have. I looked at Kubuntu, while I was looking for a distro to replace SuSE, and I almost threw up. I was looking to replace SuSE 10.1, because it wouldn't play music; none of the SuSEs I have had ever would. I looked at Puppy, and Deb, and Ub, and PCLOS, and a couple of others,
and I decided on PCLOS.  It's not perfect--sometimes its mouse won't come
back after hibernation, and I'm still trying to fix that. Also, the screensaver
daemon dies unexpectedly sometimes, so I have to keep an eye on that.
Other than these foibles, I am quite happy with this distro.

BTW, I don't hate Windows, altho there are some things I really dislike in
it.  If I had to choose between Kubuntu and Windows--either XP or 7--
I'd go with Windows in a heartbeat!  One must admit that with the s/w
available to it, it can do some things easily that Linux can do only with
difficulty, or in a few cases, not at all--altho that's changing. MS Word is
only marginally better than OO, f'rinstance, but WordPerfect is better than
both, and is no longer available in a Linux version. AutoCadLT does not come on Linux, but I've been fooling with QCad a bit, and it's pretty good, so far.

Well, you asked. . . .

--doug