Re: Orphaned User Accounts?

Quoting Carlos Mennens on 2010-11-02 16:09:41:
> I de-select EVERYTHING and after logging in I find:
(snip: list of static static uids from /etc/passwd)

> understand why those accounts would appear but why do these accounts
> appear in a fresh minimal installation with no trace of their

> Is there a way to understand why Debian is configured so by default?
> Are there official developers that browse this list that could give
> insight to maybe a security reason or any other as to why we have
> these 'orphaned' accounts in a fresh / new minimal install?

IANADD, although Policy 9.2.[12] may shed some light on why.

9.2.1   Some user ids (UIDs) and group ids (GIDs)  are  reserved
        globally for  use  by  certain  packages.  Because  some
        packages need to include files which are owned by  these
        users or groups, or need the ids compiled into  binaries

9.2.2   0-99:

        Globally allocated by the Debian project,  the  same  on
        every Debian system. These ids will appear in the passwd
        and group files of all Debian systems, new ids  in  this
        range  being  added  automatically  as  the  base-passwd
        package is updated.

        Packages which need a single statically allocated uid or
        gid should use one of these;  their  maintainers  should
        ask the base-passwd maintainer for ids.

--
 _  Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0     .
( ) ICQ 43190205 | Mail/Jabber/Yahoo/MSN: BrianLRyans@gmail.com      ..: