Re: VMware install bi-passes iso file

 On 11/03/2010 11:03 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
Klistvud<quotations@aliceadsl.fr>  writes:

Dne, 01. 11. 2010 16:28:53 je Harry Putnam napisal(a):

I think what you got yourself are images for the Intel Itanium
processors. What you need are either the i386 or the x64 (AMD) images.
Oh boy another 4.4 GB download...

Another poster has said it doesn't matter too much which ISO you get
but is dependent on what HDW the VM offers.

Do you know from experience that the i386 is required in my case?

(Running i7 Q820 multiple 1.73 Ghz and windows 7 64 bit)

If you're going to use ia64 version of debian make sure the VM that you create for it is Intel Itanium type. If the VM is a standard 686 or a x64, then use the i386 or x64 isos respectively.

The question whether i386 is required in your case or not depends on how much memory you are planning to allocate to the VM as well as what software that you plan to use on it. If the memory allocation is 4GB or less, the i386 iso is quite enough. If there's any specific software that you plan to install which needs a 64bit kernel, then install x64 iso.

If your net speed is 512kbps or higher, it'll be easier to use the net-install cd rather than the full DVD.
Mihira