Re: minimum number of days between password change

On 11/01/2010 04:45 PM, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
Hi, Ron:

On Monday 01 November 2010 18:49:01 Ron Johnson wrote:
[...]
If someone learns my password on day 2, they have full access to my
account for 74 days, or I must beg for SysAdmin help?

"Minimum number of days" isn't a very bright idea.

It is, for a low minimum number.

The rationale is to avoid the user reusing passwords: Ok, so my password is
12345678 and I must change it now?  Let's do it: 87654321; but immediately I
change back again.

The way to do it is to have a record in your password db of the hashes of each user's last N passwords.

So if the minimum change time is about a week, it takes about the same effort
to learn the new password than to change it back.

You're Doing It Wrong if you use "minimum days" to avoid password reuse.

--
Seek truth from facts.