Re: Disable IPv6

James Brown on 08/10/10 08:11, wrote:
Just a quick question - can I disable IPv6 for my whole machine?

"
You can disable IPv6 system-wide by editing your module configuration
file. This is usually one of /etc/modprobe.conf or
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases, depending on your distro. Remove any references
to IPv6 and add these two lines.

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
"

Is that going to do the job fine for lenny?

What is your distro, your kernel?
For lenny's kernel 2.6.26 you can include the file ipv6.conf into the
directory /etc/modprobe.d with the next content:
blacklist ipv6
For the next versions of kernel (i.e. 2.6.32) you can include the words
"ipv6.disable=1" into /boot/grub/menu.lst such as the next:
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64
root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ipv6.disable=1 ro
Or compile your own kernel without ipv6 from sources.

OK so do I have a choice here? I can change /etc/modprobe.d/aliases and I can change /etc/modprobe.d/ipv6.conf

In /etc/modprobe.d/aliases there is a header with the warning

"
# Please file a bug against module-init-tools if a package needs a entry
# in this file.
"

I'm just about to reboot now so if I'm lucky this will be my only question - hopefully it won't break anything. I can't think of anything I'm running that I know needs IPv6.

Thanks
Adam