Disable IPv6

Just a quick question - can I disable IPv6 for my whole machine?

I mean apart from changing some kernel compilation flags.

I have two software apps which are meant to be interacting with each other and with servers on the net, but they aren't and they aren't giving me much to go on, and their respective support teams are blaming each other for the resulting connectivity issues.

This is only temporary (I hope) - it is a gateway machine I'm talking about - the apps are running on Windows on the LAN.

I found this on the net:

"
You can disable IPv6 system-wide by editing your module configuration file. This is usually one of /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, depending on your distro. Remove any references to IPv6 and add these two lines.

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
"

Is that going to do the job fine for lenny?

Thanks
Adam