Re: Installation issues of Debian 5.0.6 "Lenny"

Hi Klistvud,

Thanks for your replies.

I will try and iterate with more information.

I install Debian Lenny 5.0 (Update 6) using the CD ISO image downloaded from debian.org.  I burn the image to a DVD, put DVD into my Hewlett Packard dv6-3030tx notebook (Intel i5-540M on Intel HM55 chipset), then via the HP BIOS, I boot my DVD drive.  I successfully enter into the splash screen which gives me four options: 1) Install 2) Graphical Install 3) Advanced Options 4) forgot this one...

When I select 1), the installation process jumps to a black screen that displays various messages, with the last message being "kernel panic".  I think this may be the issue when you mentioned that since this may not be the most recent kernel, may be the problem??

Although I will try and search this myself, may I have some clues as to how I can "pull out" this old Linux kernel, and hop into "debian backports" and plug in a newer Linux kernel? Then try and install.

I will also try and install Debian 6.0 Squeeze and see how that goes.  I read that for Squeeze release, there is one for i386 and AMD based on the kFreeBSD kernel.  So, does this mean that future releases will be based on FreeBSD kernel?

Thanks and regards,

David