Re: Installation issues of Debian 5.0.6 "Lenny"

Dne, 04. 10. 2010 09:28:58 je David Shum napisal(a):

However, I could not install Debian into my Hewlett Packard dv6-3030tx
notebook with a Intel i5-540M processor (dual core). I have been able to install Ubuntu 10.04.1 "Lucid Lynx" albeit without the software driver for
the ATI graphics card which causes the operating system to crash.

Debian stable (currently this is Lenny, but will soon be superseded by Squeeze) doesn't come with the most recent kernels, and consequently can be problematic to install on newest hardware (such as, I assume, your laptop is). There are various workarounds you might try to make Debian work on recent hardware though; such as hopping over to debian backports and installing one of their newer kernels; or dropping Lenny and installing Squeeze instead which comes with newer kernels.

I also was able install Debian into this machine I am typing my email on now, which is an ASRock desktop board based on AMD 880G chipset and AMD Athlon II X4 640 processor (quad core), but when I loaded the operating
system, the monitor went into screen-saver and froze.

Sounds like a problem with your graphics driver. Single-user (no deskktop) mode probably works; you should try that, and if the machine boots fine into single-user mode, try running the commands lspci and lsusb; if you post the output of these two commands here, somebody might be able to give you further advice.

--
Good luck,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801