need advice on a solution

(sorry, this is not Linux specific)
I trade stocks. I put stock prices in file. Often I need compute PE
for each day. To cope with stock split, I need to recompute prices as
if  un-split. Sometimes to compute PE, I want to use average of the
last three years' earning

To complete these tasks

Solution 1: is it possible to use spreadsheet? OpenOffice or other?

Solution 2: use mysql? Only sql commands? without a programming
language like jdbc?

Solution 3: programming in java. I find it clumsy.

I am familiar with java, no training is required for solution 3
For solution 1 and 2, I have to learn spreadsheet, sql and/or jdbc