Re: [FOLLOWUP] video card reccomendation

On 10/3/2010 2:52 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-10-03 21:27 +0200, Mark Allums wrote:

The full procedure is:

update-pciids

Hardly useful or necessary with an old card as the GF6200.

apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-source
m-a prepare
m-a a-i nvidia

The nvidia-kernel-module-dkms package should make these steps
unnecessary.

depmod -a

Unnecessary, the postinst of the nvidia-kernel-$(uname-r) package runs
depmod for you.

modprobe nvidia

Not necessary but may help to diagnose problems if the module fails to
load.

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Useless in Squeeze, better set up xorg.conf by hand or run
nvidia-xconfig.

Sven

With DKMS, you may have to run through this all one time, then install/configure the DKMS package.

dpkg-reconfigure only needs to be run once. Not necessary once first install of glx driver is done.

Check to make sure all your X packages are up-to-date. If they are, nvidia-xconfig will work properly.

My understanding that xorg was evolving away from xorg.conf. I know that X has been ignoring my settings in xorg.conf, and doing whatever it wants to. (It's frustrating).