Re: [FOLLOWUP] video card reccomendation

On 10/3/2010 2:04 PM, Angus Hedger wrote:

As I said, things are working fine it's just that I'm curious as to
why the nvidia driver was not found.

You need the following packages:
nvidia-glx : user-space bites
libgl1-nvidia-glx : libgl1 for the nvidia driver
nvidia-libvdpau1 : Makes vdpau work
nvidia-settings : Settings for the nvidia driver
nvidia-xconfig : builds a working xorg.conf
nvidia-kernel-2.6-686 : Meta package will keep the nVidia kernel
modules in lockset with new stock kernels

Run

# nvidia-xconfig

The full procedure is:

update-pciids
apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-source
m-a prepare
m-a a-i nvidia
apt-get install nvidia-glx
depmod -a
modprobe nvidia
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This will setup the xorg.conf

Then reload X

Also see [1]

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation-1

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97