Re: Cups does not find shared Windows printer while smbclient does.

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 17:36:05 +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:

(...)

> Of course I know that I could just add smb://mrdarcy/hpdeskjet to the
> cupsd.conf but I don't want to! This is 2010, it has to work better! :)

Ah, such automatisms will terminate us :-)

Why Cups cannot see the printer shared from windows? It could a
permissions or firewall problem. It could be a Cups bug. It can also be a
problem within the network (larger ones can experience a delay in packets
and Cups has to resolve the printer name).

Review your Windows logs.

OTOH, I see no offense in having to manually setup the printer. Cups auto-
detection system is quite new. In fact, I barely rely on those auto-
detection options, neither in linux nor windows machines.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón