Re: how can I upgrade kernel in etch

On Sunday 06 June 2010 17:06:25 Long Wind wrote:
> I have etch which use kernel 2.6.18-6
> I want to upgrade it to kernel 2.6.24 or later
> but it doesn't contain it:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main
>
> Where can I find new kernel images in Debian packages?

Suggestions so far:

1. Install linux-image-2.6.-$arch.  You probably already have this installed;
on Etch it is the 2.6.18 kernel plus some backported fixes.

2. Use Etch backports.  Note that using Etch backports at this point means you
might not have a clear upgrade path to Lenny without also including Lenny
backports.  Also, backports isn't (yet) an official part of the stable
infrastructure.

3. Upgrade to Lenny.  It is (well past) time to consider this.  Security
support for Etch has run out or will run out very soon.  Lenny has been
"stable" for quite some time now; in fact a freeze for Squeeze is currently in
the works.  Waiting for Squeeze to become stable doesn't save you any work,
either -- a Etch -> Squeeze upgrade isn't supported; you'd have to do an
intermediate upgrade to Lenny anyway.

My suggestion:

Install linux-image-2.6-$arch-etchnhalf.  During the lifetime of Etch, the
release team admitted that 2.6.18 was simply not new enough even for Debian
stable, at least for some users.  Because of this, they provided "Etch-and-a-
half" kernels that are 2.6.24, but did not bump linux-image-$arch, since that
would have "forced" a kernel upgrade on users that were satisfied with 2.6.18.
Upgrades from -etchnhalf kernels (to Lenny, which has 2.6.26 in linux-
image-2.6-$arch) are supported, but the -etchnhalf kernel may need to be
manually uninstalled after the upgrade completes.

An -etchnhalf kernel is a temporary fix.  It is likely that your current Etch
installs have known security vulnerabilities that will not be addressed by
Debian.  You should upgrade to Lenny, ASAP.