Re: how can I upgrade kernel in etch

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 18:06:25 -0400 (EDT),
Long Wind <longwind2009@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have etch which use kernel 2.6.18-6
> I want to upgrade it to kernel 2.6.24 or later
> but it doesn't contain it:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main
>
> Where can I find new kernel images in Debian packages?

You have three main options:

(1) Upgrade Etch to Lenny.  Follow the upgrade instructions in the
release notes for Lenny.

(2) Install Lenny over the top of your Etch system, formatting the
partitions during the install.  Obviously you will lose all files
on the partitions that you format when you do this, so think carefully
before you do this.  At a minimum, you should have /home on a separate
partition and not format that partition, so that you don't lose user
files (except files belonging to root).

(3) Install a newer kernel from Etch backports.

There is actually a fourth option, namely installing a kernel from
Lenny on your Etch system, but I don't recommend that.

Etch is now the "oldstable" release, so I recommend options (1) or (2).

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :