Re: Update GRUB to GRUB2 / Lenny to Squeeze

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 9:57 PM, lrhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM, lrhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I upgraded a box from "Lenny" to "Squeeze", but the update of GRUB to
>>> GRUB2 failed.  The box is running a pair of IDE hard drives with
>>> three partitions each.  Each partition on each drive is a RAID1
>>> mirror of the same partition on the other drive.  The first
>>> partitions on both drives are members of /dev/md1, whihc is mounted
>>> as /boot.  When I run
>>>
>>> `dpkg --configure grub-pc`
>>>
>>> I get the following:
>>>
>>> Backup:/# dpkg --configure grub-pc
>>> Setting up grub-pc (1.98-1) ...
>>> Generating core.img
>>> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md1'.
>>> Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
>>> Please specify the module with the option `--modules' explicitly.
>>> dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure):
>>> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
>>> status 1
>>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>> grub-pc
>>>
>>> I searched the web for errors relating to this issue, and I found
>>> quite a number of references, but none were really helpful in
>>> resolving the issue.  (The fact it has been fixed in Ubuntu or Fedora
>>> and is going to be fixed in Debian really doesn't help me much.)
>>> Where do I modify the package configuration to let grub-probe know
>>> which modules to load?  If GRUB2 were already configured, then I
>>> think I could manually modify the grub.cfg file to get it to work,
>>> but if GRUB2 were already configured, I wouldn't have the problem in
>>> the first place, and until GRUB2 is at least partially configured
>>> grub.cfg won't even exist.
>>
>> You can't load modules for grub-probe.
>>
>> But you can for grub-install.
>>
>> The default modules that I have in a Sid VM for an install without
>> mdraid or lvm are:
>> minicmd, true, loadenv, extcmd, test, sh, normal, charset, terminal,
>> crypto, boot, part_msdos, ext2, fshelp, biosdisk
>>
>> I have no idea whether they are hard-coded or there is a file
>> somewhere that can be edited to control to which ones grub-install
>> defaults.
>
> That doesn't help.  Until grub2 is unpacked and configured, neither
> grub-probe nor grub-install (for GRUB 2) will exist.  I can't pass
> parameters to a binary that doesn't exist.  Passing them to the same
> respective file for GRUB legacy won't help, either.

If you don't have grub-install, you are missing grub-common, upon
which grub-pc depends.

"bin" files in grub-common and grub-pc:

grub-common
/usr/bin/grub-bin2h
/usr/bin/grub-editenv
/usr/bin/grub-mkelfimage
/usr/bin/grub-mkfont
/usr/bin/grub-mkisofs
/usr/bin/grub-mkpasswd-pbkdf2
/usr/bin/grub-mkrelpath
/usr/bin/grub-mkrescue
/usr/bin/grub-script-check
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig
/usr/sbin/grub-mkdevicemap
/usr/sbin/grub-probe

grub-pc
/usr/sbin/grub-install
/usr/sbin/grub-reboot
/usr/sbin/grub-set-default
/usr/sbin/grub-setup
/usr/sbin/update-grub
/usr/sbin/update-grub2
/usr/sbin/upgrade-from-grub-legacy

>> But you can specify modules for grub-install with
>> grub-install --modules='raid mdraid <list above>' <device>
>>
>> (What does your device.map look like?)
>
> It doesn't matter since `dpkg --configure grub-pc` overwrites it with
> the default every time before it gets to the point where it might be
> used.

Who cares? You don't have to use "dpkg --configure...".