Re: trying to understand/purge linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686

On 02/06/10 01:46 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 June 2010 11:55:55 H.S. wrote:
>> I understand the files with 'trunk' in them, but the rest I am not why
>> they are there since I have the following kernels installed:
>> $> dpkg -l linux-image* | grep ^i | awk '{print $2}'
>> linux-image-2.6-686
>> linux-image-2.6.26-2-686
>> linux-image-2.6.32-3-686
>> linux-image-686
>
> Then you can (or at least should be able to) confirm that the files listed are
> not "owned" by those packages.

Yes, I agree. But the tons of grub files didn't make me very confident
about the capability of curft (on a related note, I am quite confident
about deborphan though).

> They may still be important files for your system, and the {pre,post}inst
> routines may have created them.  However, they are unknown to the dpkg
> database, which is why cruft identifies them.
>
> I'm sure the cruft maintainer / upstream would like your assistance in making
> cruft better.

Sure, won't mind giving feedback based on my experiences. How? On the
dev mailing list?

>> And besides these, cruft also listed tons of /boot/grub files as
>> unexplained.
>
> Are they owned by a package?

No idea. I never fiddled with grub (except when dpkg did its pre and
post kernel installation/purge stuff) during the short during of /boot
mounting problem. The only command I used one was update-grub.

Thanks.

ever having been read.