Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Ma, 01 iun 10, 10:25:42, Stephen Powell wrote:

> Actually, I've been tempted to volunteer to become the upstream maintainer
> for lilo myself.  I have worked on boot loaders before, on other platforms.

[...]

> I agree.  But I also sympathize with the poor package maintainer who is
> essentially functioning as both package maintainer and upstream support.
> That cannot go on forever.  Someone has to step up to the plate and take
> over upstream support.  I'd do it myself if I had the requisite skills.
> But as of now, I just don't.
>
> Perhaps one of the reasons that no-one has stepped up to the plate to take
> over upstream support is the perception that lilo can't handle today's
> large kernels and therefore we should just let it die.  That is simply not
> true.  I use stock kernels most of the time.  And I use lilo.  And I've
> never had a bit of trouble.  I just have to make sure by the use of hook
> scripts that lilo actually gets run when a kernel is installed or updated.
> And that's easy enough to do.

Maybe it would be enough if you just take over the maintenance of the
Debian package. After all, you are very familiar with lilo and run it on
many machines. If the code is as stable as I've read in this thread it
shouldn't be too difficult.

Regards,
Andrei