Blockage on Internet maps - is a firewall intervening? Was: Re: PART DIAGNOSED: Re: Trying to install Google Earth on Lenny. How on earth??????

On Tuesday 25 May 2010 01:44:44 godo wrote:
> > It is, at least in part, due to a problem on my box.  I had been
> > installing Fedora on another box and when it finished I tried Google maps
> > - and bingo! So it is neither me nor my router, but my box.  I clearly
> > have to solve this, but not tonight.

I am running a more or less vanilla Lenny and KDE 3.5.10 on my Desktop.  I
have now tried on my husband's desktop, and that too is fine for maps etc.,
and he has vanilla Lenny with KDE 3.5.10.  So the problem is confined to my
own desktop.  I have been ruminating on it, and think it just possible that I
have found the root of the problem.

I had recently downloaded three firewall applications, Shorewall, Firehol and
Fwbuilder, to see whether, by looking at them and reading their helpfiles, I
could get past my woeful ignorance of firewalls.  I had not so far done
anything at all with them, let alone tried to use them, not even, until last
night, looked at them.  But Firehol is complaining when I boot up that some
config file or other that it uses is not yet configured.  I don't have time
to read the message properly as it flashes past, but it is marked as an error
during the booting process.

So it looks as tho' at least Firehol is trying to do something.  Could this
therefore be the problem?  As I say, my ignorance on the topic of firewalls
is distressingly abysmal.  :-(  I am at a loss to know where to start or what
to look at, or even what question to ask Google.  I could obviously purge all
of them and see if that solved the problem, but am afraid that purging them
would not totally remove every trace, and therefore might make things
worse. :-(  And I still need to learn about firewalls.

I would value, and be very grateful for, any advice on the best procedure to
follow - or what FM to read - _before_ I manage to kybosh my entire system,
rather than after.

Thanks,
Lisi